T O P

Government admits Boris Johnson's flat refurb originally paid for by Tory donors

Government admits Boris Johnson's flat refurb originally paid for by Tory donors

  • By - qpl23

Neat_Petite

Prediction when he’s questioned on this: “Look, people aren’t interested in who paid for some wallpaper, they’re interested in our amazing vaccination program, where we’re spending all day every day getting Jabs In Arms.” Or some such bollocks.


Beiki

Let's not bicker and argue about who accepted illegal contributions.


Missionfromglod42

This is meant to be a happy occasion


brickne3

Is there a fridge around here?


I_Like_Big_Budds

Laws are for poors


jeweliegb

...whilst we declaw the electoral commission.


TheAngryGoat

"I consider the matter closed." One day I hope we see him try to say that in front of a judge.


HobGoblin877

I wish I could break the law and say that. Amazing


LimeGreenDuckReturns

Technically you can. It's not going to work, but nothing is sopping you giving it a go


Occulus

Why won't HobGoblin877 get soaking wet if they try breaking the law? If they steal a boat and it sinks they will.


anomalous_cowherd

Sounds very like the same family as "I take no responsibility" to me... So the lied about it repeatedly, covered it up and now they admit it they do it in a filing cabinet in the basement with a beware of the leopard sign on it It's almost like they know they were doing something wrong.


[deleted]

[удалено]


acremanhug

Unlike Patel I really don't believe in capital punishment.


FireWhiskey5000

Don’t forget his favourite line. “We vaccinate, they vacillate” he’d get that in there somewhere


heyzooschristos

The other week in PMQs he said "we vaccinate, they're invertebrates" prick. PMQs really winds me up with his pompous distraction. The thing that annoys me most though is that the majority of people are happy to have entitled Eton mess "running" the cuntry [sic]


sophistry13

That's why on Wednesday Starmer upped his game and left the last of his questions to change the tone to a sad one so Boris wouldn't be able to finish with his pre-prepared statement. His first 5 questions were on racism in football but he saved the last one for the NI prosecution amnesty and about why he was refusing to prosecute terrorists.


Professor_Tarknassus

"People vacillate, we vaccinate."


RedditIsShitAs

He'd be right. People don't really give a shit who paid for his wallpaper outside of Joylon and online anxiousbois. Still think this whole thing was massively mishandled - the angle that would have damaged Boris was the John Lewis mocking. 90%+ of the public would have felt sneered at. Instead we get into some snooze fest story about rules around political donations


Elmetian

>Instead we get into some snooze fest story about rules around political donations Because you know just as well as I that this loophole allows for our PM to accept bribes. It's only a 'snooze fest' for some because there's no evidence that Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson actually provided any favours for the donors.. yet. However for many of us that follow British politics, it's another worrying symptom of the ongoing failure of the checks and balances that are meant to keep our democracy (relatively) free. Edit: grammar


wdtpw

> there's no evidence that Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson actually provided any favours for the donors. It could, of course, be considered a marker capable of being redeemed in the future for later favours.


Elmetian

Yeah exactly. Boris has at least three more years of premiership unless the Conservatives decide he's not the best party leader anymore. That's plenty of time for him to make good on any ~~bribes~~ donations.


Locke66

>It could, of course, be considered a marker capable of being redeemed in the future for later favours. It doesn't even have to be something so obvious as a direct favour to be called in. Johnson could be influenced in terms of what general policy he pursues simply by the fact he feels gratitude towards the people who paid for his flat so he may not want to anger them. It's insidious and when it comes down to things like climate change or pandemic response it's particularly dangerous.


cultish_alibi

They really are desperate for it to be nothing. Refurbishment? What's a furb anyway? Who cares about what someone does with a furb?


Viiae

[no figure was given for the costs, which are reported to have been up to £200,000](https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/28/boris-johnson-acted-unwisely-over-flat-refurbishment-report-finds) It doesn't matter what the money is for, it's about accepting a £200,000 (or £100,000 whatever) gift, whether it's a house, car or watch.


aruexperienced

But… Isn’t 200 grand chicken feed?


gavpowell

Some chicken!


aruexperienced

Knowing Johnson he has hundreds of chickens we don’t know about. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/jul/14/boris-johnson-telegraph-chicken-feed


praise-god-barebone

The "bribe" is doing up a PM bedroom he will vacate in 3 years time.


AttitudeAdjuster

There are ethical boundaries which we expect those in trusted positions to adhere to as I'm sure you're aware. Why is it that you're so keen to give the PM a completely free pass on behaviour which would result in job losses amongst the "little people"?


Neat_Petite

Plenty of people certainly give a shit. Not because of the wallpaper, but because someone is doing it with an expectation of payback later on. I expect them to be held to an ethical standard.


WynterRayne

The only reason I don't shop at John Lewis is because I can't afford to. The downside of being an excellent employer with A++ customer care is that it tends to price out the rather less well off. The answer is having more employers like John Lewis. Sadly, most businesses prefer the 'easier' answer of cheaping out. 'So what if our staff get deployed on the floor with zero knowledge about the job, we can hire them in the millions!', rather than 'let's focus on looking after our staff so that they in turn can focus on looking after the customer'


worotan

While you’re snoozing, they’re enjoying corruption. It’s boring to keep a tab on government officials, I know, but you could at least not sneer at those who take the time to see what those in charge of our public affairs are doing with our money. Especially when they’ve got such a track record of corruption and incompetence as the members of this government.


cietalbot

I think people would care if they saw it. Looks like it has been paint by a colourblind hedgehog in a paper bag


TehMadness

It's not just that our PM can be bought, it's that his price is so fucking low.


_mr_chicken

/s


demeschor

100% agree, Starmer had a chance to highlight blatant corruption and somehow fudged it so badly to make it sound like "hey, Boris (a person we all assume is rich) has expensive wallpaper".


anomalous_cowherd

I had such high hopes for someone with a legal background to actually bring up the standards in the house. Denied.


TUGrad

"No10 has consistently refused to reveal the original source of funds for the refurb - stating opaquely that Mr Johnson had “covered the cost” and “settled the full amount” for the work." He only covered the cost after being caught.


oxford-fumble

Exactly - it was never meant to be a loan.


qpl23

> The bizarre funding chain was finally confirmed in the fourth footnote on the 208th page of the Cabinet Office’s annual report, which the Government quietly published on Thursday ... > No10 has consistently refused to reveal the original source of funds for the refurb - stating opaquely that Mr Johnson had “covered the cost” and “settled the full amount” for the work. > But the Electoral Commission is investigating whether the original donation broke the law. > Politicians and parties are required to publish details of donations and loans. > The Commission, which has the power to issue fines of up to £20,000, said: “There are reasonable grounds to suspect that an offence or offences may have occurred." Fines of up to £20,000. My oh my.


ICreditReddit

[https://www.ft.com/content/672b5cf7-fdda-42fc-a0f4-8d6e0dd17e0e](https://www.ft.com/content/672b5cf7-fdda-42fc-a0f4-8d6e0dd17e0e) Haha, haha. Oh my. HAD the power. Johnson moves to strip the commission of power. For investigating him. But no worries, the next body surely won't be scared to investigate him after this example, right? [https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-bullingdon-club-appointment-b1885184.html](https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-bullingdon-club-appointment-b1885184.html) Well, it turns out that doesn't matter if you appoint your jolly school chum to the independent - (You appoint people to an INDEPENDENT .... never mind, nothing to see here) Committee on Standards in Public Life Prosecute the Leakers. Hobble the oversight. De-power the watchdogs. It's the classic Tory response to sleaze. A 'everyone is corrupt, might as well be us' campaign comes next. Starmer buys expensive pen, The Greens once owned a diesel van, etc etc incoming.


zed1207

Banana republic level shit. This is the kind of thing Zuma did in South Africa ten years ago.


red--6-

[More importantly someone called Donald Trump did it very recently](https://i.redd.it/q5hvs3yuuzz41.jpg)


serfrin47

Donald who?


red--6-

Still struggling to understand why [he became a Fascist and took the Republicans with him](https://i.redd.it/f9ibjptbdz541.jpg) Hah ! That picture's quite reflective of the UK


Beau_Nash

> Fines of up to £20,000. My oh my I'm sure they can find a donor to pay that for them.


king_of_snake_case

You'd find that in spare change down the back of the old John Lewis sofa.


zed1207

What should really cost him is the loss of trust from such lying. But it won't.


plinkoplonka

What trust?


RhagrithiolTeflon

Paid for by not the guilty.


originalsquad

20k is nothing to be sniffed at, why you could buy 1 or 2 Jenricks for that…


Surur

This will surely be the end of Johnson .... in a country where corruption by the elite was not celebrated.


TheRiddler1976

Isn't this just wallpaper 2.0?


AttitudeAdjuster

No - this is 1.0. This is why people were concerned in the first place.


cultish_alibi

Yes but I've boiled it down to a boring word that bypasses the meat of the story so that I can pretend nothing important happened. Likewise, Bloody Sunday was just people complaining about what some soldiers did on their day off. Don't they have anything better to do?


PandaRot

Sometimes I just think, Sunday bloody Sunday...


meekamunz

They really captured the moment with that song, kids running round screaming...


CornholeCrusade

Dere’s more t’Ireland..: dun dis


steepleton

Sausages in ireland, bendy bananas….


thehealingprocess

Wallpapergate


praise-god-barebone

Pahahaha you're clueless


newnortherner21

Admitted when the economic sanctions against France are the main story (or the 'amber-plus' quarantine requirement as it is officially known). So little coverage.


R1ckers

So this is the time for us to publicise it to make it common knowledge. The media are vultures, they’ll jump on it when it gains enough traction. Just because they’re subservant to the tories and won’t give this the time of day, doesn’t mean it’s not worthy.


[deleted]

[удалено]


YeswhalOrNarwhal

Presumably they mean the UK making a special new COVID category just for France at the last minute. Basically no summer holiday £ for the French economy. Is it due to science, or is it politics? I honestly don't know.


TheAngryGoat

Of course it's science-based. France have an infection rate an astronomical 10% of our own. Travel there cannot be considered anything but extremely dangerous.


RosemaryFocaccia

Really amazing when you [look at the respective countries](https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&time=2020-03-01..latest&pickerSort=desc&pickerMetric=new_cases_per_million&Metric=Confirmed+cases&Interval=7-day+rolling+average&Relative+to+Population=true&Align+outbreaks=false&country=FRA~GBR). The only countries with a higher rate than ours presently are Seychelles, Fiji and Cyprus.


tradingten

Time to open up and party!


foofly

Do not atribe callousness where incompetence is the cause


Redbeard_Rum

For someone like Matt Hancock yes, but for Johnson, Patel, Gove, etc. callousness and cheap political point scoring is usually the right answer.


newnortherner21

Those who have family or property in France are unlikely to be diehard Brexiteers and less likely to support Mr Johnson than in general, which of course is purely coicidental.


Sanctimonius

Oh look, blatant corruption that doesn't matter to his fans


29xthefun

Press seem to ignore the tax implications of this all the time. This is a similar sort of thing Trump is facing in USA where he used his own company items without paying tax. Boris should too.


Anasynth

What are the tax implications?


ClassicExit

There was an article about it at the time that I can't find, basically because it was paid for by someone else it would count as additional income attracting 45% income tax. So in theory at least HMRC could go after him for tax evasion.


Grommmit

But Downing Street isn’t his property.


ClassicExit

If I gave you a "loan" of £50k, the tax man would see that as you having an additional £50k of income it doesn't matter if you stuck the money in the bank or bought a shit ton of penny sweets it would still be income.


Grommmit

But was it given to him, or to the office? The answer is that we don’t really know, but also that these people are not idiots and will have thought about all these things.


ClassicExit

> The answer is that we don’t really know Expect, yes we do. Mostly because the money can't be given to the "office", at the time the story broke CCHQ was wheeling out the likes of Grant to peddle the idea that the flats above 10 & 11 Downing Street should be put in some sort of conservatorship with refurbishments paid for by a charity, that wasn't just a way to bribe the PM honest guv. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9317619/Ex-standards-chief-blasts-Boriss-quite-inappropriate-plan-charity-fund-No10-flat-revamp.html Which tells us that there isn't a way to give money to the office. Also it's been a longstanding policy that PM's get a yearly budget to look after the flat, anything above that they pay for themselves or in this case get others to pay on their behalf; which would still be a loan to, and therefore income for, the PM. Now stop grasping at those straws. >these people are not idiots and will have thought about all these things. You mustn't have seen yesterday's story about Javid testing positive for covid then.


RhagrithiolTeflon

Will starmer raise this next pmu? He's got him bang to rights on this one surely?


Rokkitt

I wonder if there is a case to make about misleading parliament based on previous questions and answers.


PurpleTeapotOfDoom

He's already asked about this and as far as I remember Johnson lied.


RhagrithiolTeflon

Iirc it was the laying of the trap. Yeah BJ lied. But now there is concrete evidence which Starmer can link to, to evidence that it was misleading parliament.


[deleted]

[удалено]


Yaydos1

Seems telling the truth certainly isn't one of the rules so asking the same question 5 times shouldn't be ruled out. I used to follow pmqs quite a bit actually looked forward to it. It's just awful now I can't be bothered with it.


RhagrithiolTeflon

He could just say that on whatever date it was BJ emphatically confirmed he had paid the cost and now it has been confirmed he didn't. Does he want to correct the record or something about misleading parliament and checking the rules. BJ won't answer, but then it's not going to be about that


MufasaJesus

It happens from time to time, Boris is notorious for getting past it by rambling fucking nonsense.


mark_b

If I had my way, having to ask the same question again because you weren't given an answer wouldn't count as an extra question.


AbsimUddin

How the country found that this guy would be a suitable pm still astounds me.


mischaracterised

So that would make Johnson an aide to money laundering. Which is a crime.


Borhensen

It's corruption for sure but definitely not money laundering.


mischaracterised

Obscuring the source of funds for a project as a Public Officer is a crime. That is one of the definitions of Money Laundering.


Borhensen

UK legislation defines it as "the process by which the proceeds of a crime are converted into assets which appear to have legitimate origin, so they can be retained permanently or recycled into further criminal enterprises." The money in question here does not come from an illegal source as far as I'm aware, so there might be some sort of corruption, mishandling of funds but not ML.


costelol

You’re right, there is a requirement for a *predicate crime*. As defined in the Proceeds Of Crime Act. The money isn’t the proceeds of crime, so no laundering can occur. Source: ICA student


Borhensen

Yeah, I am also a criminologist specializing on AML.


costelol

Ah cool stuff. I’m from the IT side trying to learn where my requirements actually come from hah. Glad we agree on this topic then!


Patch86UK

The crime is bribery, and the money is the proceeds of that crime (from the point of view of the recipient). Disguising bribe money as something else in order to make it look legitimate is a second separate crime of money laundering.


costelol

If he was guilty of Bribery and then disguised/converted the criminal proceeds, then yes you're correct. So take a look at this and see if any of the definitions of Bribery have been met as per the [Bribery Act 2010.](https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/23/section/2)


mischaracterised

Cases 4 and 6 are the ones most likely to apply, which would make it irrelevant whether or not Johnson *believes* there to be no impropriety.


costelol

So who has bribed Johnson in this case? Who agreed to give an asset to Johnson, so that he would not perform properly in his role as PM.


mischaracterised

In this case, the individual who directly paid Johnson as part of his refurbishment at that heart of this matter, I would argue.


costelol

But they weren’t obscured, it was known to them where the money came from. It was obscured from the public, which might go as far as to be Misconduct but the bar on that is very very high.


kickflip2indy

Only in a limited and specific way!


napoleon_wilson

“They thrift, we grift.”


A1BS

Oh boy, I bet a scandal like this will affect the Torys' popularity with their core voters! /s


Savings-Spirit-3702

Guys a lying scumbag I wouldn't expect anything else from him


Auto_Pie

Johnson broke the law "in a limited and specific way" and "considers the matter closed" In other news, it's good to be the king


Conscious-Visual9575

He is a dodgy fucker. His missus is running this shit show, he needs to go, even the hateful dodgy dave Cameron is probably wincing and the stunts he is pulling, probably while he is laughing at someone in a wheel chair living in abject poverty


Pauln512

Now bow down and recite the [Narcissist's prayer](https://www.thelifedoctor.org/the-narcissist-s-prayer).


Ikhlas37

Is that mask upside down?


Buffythedjsnare

No. But his face is pretty wonky looking.


icount2tenanddrinkt

my dad, then me, then me with some help from company I worked for (paid moving costs & some other costs) then me along with my other half. Easy not a fucking difficult question to answer, above are my answers to who paid for the decorating. First house my dad helped me with the kitchen costs, moved house with work they paid some of the costs actually bought a Scalextric, but my boss threw that receipt out. This goes deeper than some lies about the flat, what can I trust this government to tell the truth about? thats leading. to bigger issues, do I believe levelling up. Do I believe the rules or lack of rules around covid, there is no trust. We should have some sort of social contract with government, some level of understanding that they will in the most part do what they say and tell us (the public) about what matters. Currently zero trust, and this will filter down to local politics the game is fucked and so are we.


himalayangoat

And Boris will come out with some bumbling bullshit and a majority of the country will lap it up.


Brutos08

At this point an trying to think of something morally corrupt this government hasn’t done.


benfrancois

Can we just trebuchet Boris Johnson into the North Sea already!


Snowey212

Its pretty gross that working in finance a low level person must report & refuse all gifts over £50 and ensure that they accept nothing that could be considered a bribe and go through training to show they understand that. But politicians get a free pass. I couldn't accept a gift basket at Christmas a few years ago as appreciation for my work with a client but bojo gets his accommodation redecorated at the cost of hundreds of thousands £££££s and that's fine, thems some dodgy standards.


jlpw

Like anyones going to do anything about it. They treat us with disdain


ThomasHL

It's okay because a Tory donor appointed by Boris said it's okay


captainhaz

Thought this was already common knowledge?


bobbyjackdotme

"Common knowledge" and "admitted to by the Tories" are two very different things.


captainhaz

QFT.


qpl23

Nope, it was common supposition. As the article says: > No10 has consistently refused to reveal the original source of funds for the refurb - stating opaquely that Mr Johnson had “covered the cost” and “settled the full amount” for the work. It was only confirmed yesterday "without fanfare" in a footnote 200 pages into the accounts statement from the cabinet office.


Ploufy

This was already revealed in the report by Lord Geidt https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57280418


qpl23

Very interesting.


InterestingStrike271

As ever! “One ☝️law for one section of society”...


tomhorn3r

Compromised


Harmless_Drone

"he doesn't own the house so how is it a problem, it's taxpayer property" Yes which he benefits exclusively from, even if he doesn't own it. It's like suggesting that if boris was bought a stay at the ritz carlton by party donors instead of the government paid for Travelodge, he wouldn't gain any benefit from that and wouldn't have any kind of expectation of payment in kind for it...


TurnItOffAndOnAgain-

Im sure the more outrage about this the electorate will certainly change their minds! Any minute now!


morgyporgy

Bring out your bad news! Freedom Day on Monday, that’s all anyone will be talking about. This, and any other embarrassing revelations, will be old news in a couple days.


V33rkat

Tory (-)


kefuffle1

CON (+5)


illinoyce

This attack line is definitely working, keep it up guys!


Surur

Yes, we all know red-blooded Tory voters do not care about the going-ons of their rulers. Rank hath its privileges after all. Why are people virtue signalling about corruption when the important thing is on which Atlantic island we will be dumping illegal immigrants?


bio_d

Dumping illegal immigrants - does that count as virtue signalling? Show how shittily you’ll treat the poor to get the love of weird bitter old people and the odd incel on Reddit?


Surur

> Dumping illegal immigrants - does that count as virtue signalling Given that it would likely cost 10x what it costs to house people here, certainly.


illinoyce

That is actually quite an important question. Do we still own Bermuda?


Surur

Why would we use a tropical island when we can use some god-forsaken rock in the middle of nowhere?


illinoyce

Well it’s pretty far


denk2mit

So is Bermuda


illinoyce

That’s what I said...


AttitudeAdjuster

You realise the reason that people are concerned about this is because we don't think that having corruption in our government is a good thing, it's not some random attack line that's been made up for a TV advert.


ThebesAndSound

The kind of corruption where Tory donors pay to refurbish a government owned flat instead of the taxpayer? That sounds like something people would like to see happen or at least it sounds totally acceptable.


AttitudeAdjuster

Tory donors secretly doing favours for the PM I'm sure were just doing it out of the goodness of their hearts and the fact they're bidding on government contracts is neither here nor there. The PM gets a budget to refurb his flat, he doesn't need to take bribes to do so, and he certainly doesn't need to stand up in parliament and try to mislead everyone about it.


ThebesAndSound

Tory donors already donate to the Tory party, hence the name: "Tory donor." Corruption would be Boris personally gaining in exchange for favours. Boris has not personally gained, this flat is government owned. And you need evidence of these favours before you claim something is corruption, otherwise you are just spinning libel.


AttitudeAdjuster

Hahaha, I love it when you guys threaten me with libel for pointing out corruption. Also I'm enjoying "it's not a bribe, it's a donation and he's done it before!" Like it's a defence.


illinoyce

Yeah it’s about winning the argument, not elections. And it’s been very successful


AttitudeAdjuster

No, its about genuinely held beliefs that government should be held to a high standard of behaviour.


illinoyce

Well that’s good, because it isn’t helping in the slightest to make anyone vote Labour. They’re almost under 30%


AttitudeAdjuster

Good. Is this supposed to be an argument or are you just assuming I'm a labour supporter and trying to bait?


illinoyce

Who’s trying to bait? I’m just stating facts: the polls suggest the Tories would win an election today with almost the same majority as 2019. Nobody cares about these stories in the real world.


stmachreth

Fucking finally. Now wait for the tsunami of media consumers not giving a fuck


Stu_A_Lew

Another day and another moment by government that will barely register. The news will be too busy reporting on how many cornetos were sold this weekend to likely even mention this


Thapman

Did you happen to find out how many? Surely Britons have realise Magnum and Solero shit all over Cornettos by now?


voyagerdoge

Is the UK so poor nowadays it cannot even pay itself for the maintenance and refurbishment of the official PM living quarters?